2011 Update (10/30/11)
The B&B for Vets promotion has moved to the Better Way to Stay website, which is a “grassroots campaign to help travelers discover today’s inns and B&B experience” developed by the industry group, Professional Association of Innkeepers International.
To see the 2011 Bed and Breakfast and Inn participants in the program, check out the Better Way to Stay B&B for Vets page. Canada’s participating Bed and Breakfasts and Inns can be found on their Bed and Breakfasts for Veterans page.
The Better Way to Stay site says there are at least 495 B&Bs that are participating plus 215 more on the BBCanada site.
This year’s offer of a free room to persons who have served in the military is for Thursday night, November 10, 2011.
Thank you to all of the Veterans who have so sacrificially
served to preserve and protect our freedoms!
2010 B&B for Vets Information
The West Virginia Bed and Breakfast Association is taking their “Thank You Veterans Project” nationwide for 2010. As of today, July 28, 2010, almost 200 Bed and Breakfasts, in over 30 States and 1 Canadian Province*, are set to honor military personnel by offering a free room in observance of Veterans Day.
*August 1, 2010 update: 203 participating B&Bs in 36 States and 1 Canadian province
*October 6, 2010 update: 550 participating B&Bs in 48 States and 2 Canadian provinces
Here are some of the details and suggestions for 2010 participating Inns:
- Make a minimum of one room available FREE on November 10, 2010, to military personnel
- Take any reservations for your inn – no coordinating with anyone is needed
- Send out any Press Releases you wish (if you can combine with other inns, this has greater impact for getting TV and print exposure)
- Consider contacting American Legion, VFW, military bases in your State/Area
- Please do not make it a minimum stay or BOGO – the benefit to the B & B will be the publicity needed to tell the military it is available (even the grocery does BOGO)
- Please state you are joining the West Virginia Bed & Breakfast Association in the “Thank You Veterans Project”
- To avoid scammers: If you state that a free room can be obtained for anyone who possesses a valid military ID, a valid VA ID card or any valid veteran separation paperwork, then you will have done a great service to veterans. One of these will be possessed by only:
- Active Duty
- Retired Military
- National Guard
- Veterans who qualify for VA services
A web site is up and running for inns to register as participants, and for Veterans to use to locate a participating inn: www.bnbsforvets.org
To best achieve the goals that drive this project, Bed & Breakfasts should be doing this as a “Thank You” to Veterans for their Service to our Country. This project is NOT a lead gathering device, but is meant to be nothing more than “Thank You”.
Please note that this Project is strictly voluntary, and is “sponsored” by a couple of WV bed and breakfasts, who have borne the costs for the domain name, setting up and hosting the website and other Public Relations and Marketing costs. Participating B & Bs, if they are so inclined, are simply asked to consider sending a $5.00 donation to help pay for the PR needed to get the most publicity.